Wednesday, July 01, 2009

I lost her a year ago today...


It was 5:00 in the morning. She'd been fading and I could no longer deny that keeping her here was keeping her trapped in a body which knew only discomfort. After a night of torment-- she could never get comfortable and rest-- I called the 24 hour vet. Oddly, all my friends and family were out of town. She and I were always a duo, so I suppose that it was fitting we'd be alone to the end. I drove her there through Dallas streets dark and quiet, for a change. I went in my pajamas. I took her to Whataburger for a breakfast sammy, which she ate, but gingerly and without the old gusto. The people at the clinic were kind. Losing a pet is such an awful thing, and choosing the moment seems such a cruel thing to have to deal with. I know it was right, but it still just wrecks me. All my blogfriends gathered round and said kind words. Dear friends called and took time to comfort me. I'll always treasure the abiding kindness of my friends here at a moment when I really needed a friendly word.

So much has happened and I have glorious new dogs in my life, but Valentine will always be my first little sweetheart, my Nuggles von Doglobyte, my Bunnydog. I miss you, doglet. As I pull my new pups close and hold them tight, I'll always remember you and hope you had the tiniest idea how very much I love you. Thanks for showing me that loving a little furball is more precious than any material possession any person could ever own. Thanks for being mine.

12 comments:

OrangeNeck said...

Aww hun, ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Jay G said...

Aw, Phlegmmie, I'm sorry...

Hugs & good thoughts your way today.

Jon said...

It's too early for this sadness, but it has a sweetness to it.

steff66 said...

Valentine had personality plus. Always acted like a pup. And a great escape artiste! Love and hugs your way.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Such a lovely tribute. She was an incredible personality, bless her.

Old NFO said...

Well said (hug)

Buck said...

Hugs to you, Phlegmmy. I know where you're coming from on this one.

Christina RN LMT said...

Great big hug sent your way, Phlegmmy. You both were very lucky to have each other.

Miz Minka said...

I can't believe it's been a year already. Sad with you...

I lost The Best Dog Ever five years ago, and I still miss him.

Sending big hugs your way. ((((((HUGS)))))

Tomcat said...

Made me cry about the loss of our first Boston Terrier--hand picked by my son, 5 at the time, from hundreds and hundreds of pups--well that is what we always told her.

Assrot said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have lost several over the years and it never gets any easier.

I have two basset hounds right now that are both over 14. I know their time will come any day now.

They seem to be doing okay and still have good quality of life. Heck, they even still want to play with me when I get home.

I'm spending a small fortune in medicine for them but they are for the most part happy, pain free and still get around okay.

I guess I'm lucky with those two but it's in the back of my mind all the time that they have very little time left.

I hate putting them down but I refuse to let them suffer to spare my feelings.

May we both enjoy our dogs until our time comes as well.

Have a nice weekend.

Joe

Vinogirl said...

Oh my God...I only just saw this...I'm now crying like a baby and I have to go to work. Just the thought of being without one of the Vinodogs just wrecks me. Lovely post...I'm sure she knew you loved her.