Monday, July 02, 2007



I've been planning to start going to see art house films more often, and Sunday night I finally managed to do so.

I saw La Vie en Rose which is a Cliff Notes sort of version of the life of Edith Piaf. Piaf was no great beauty, but she looked passably pretty when she was younger. Makeup for this film had rather a tough row to hoe with the surpassingly lovely Marion Cotillard as Piaf. Her facial expressions were spot-on, and it was heart-breaking how you could see in her eyes how desperately she clung to her rare and pitiful scraps of happiness, never fully believing her luck had changed.

Of course, as with any biopic, no doubt liberties were taken with the story. I certainly hope her life wasn't that tragic. I blubbered (ok, not boo-hooed, but streaming tears) in about 5 places in the film. After her final note of "Non, rien de rien" (I regret nothing) the film went black and silent, and a woman a couple rows back blew a kleenex with a honk that was remarkably kazoo-like. This broke the tension and everyone laughed. That was acutally quite nice, although I'm sure the woman will never overcome the shame of it all.

Stunning film.
____________________________
Yeah, I'm loving me some you-tube.

Oh, THAT's why we always thought Eva Gabor was classier than Zsa Zsa:

5 comments:

Tickersoid said...

I've recently been playing a lot of Piaf. Not sure the guys at the steelworks have appreciated it when I've played 'Je ne regret Rien' down the tannoy.

Catmoves said...

Re Gabor: Beauty is only skin deep apparently.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I have been wanting to see La Vie En Rose. This clinches it! And I shall be sure to take my kleenexes.

phlegmfatale said...

tickersoid - *L* I'll bet it's like that opera scene from Shawshank Redemption. Piaf at a Welsh steel mill: I love the thought of it. You so rock, tickers!

catmoves - Wow, can you believe she was so nasty?

barbara - I'm delighted - I'll be eager to hear your opinion. I'm besotted with Marion Cotillard - she really tugs the heart strings.

FHB said...

Oh DAMN, I wanna see that BAD! Love the hell out of her.