Friday, December 09, 2011

Scrooge up your courage.

In and out of stores lately I've heard enough jingle music to choke a barge brim-full of goats. It was therefore refreshing that when I went into Tuesday Morning several days back I heard that gloriously composed and quirky song Lush Life, a nice version of which evades me on Yootoob, and I'll therefore not post it here. Lush Life is a beautiful but sad song, and, frankly, depressing. It was such a downer of a contrast from the shoulder sagging weight of the usual high-test Christmas vivarin-laced cheer that it made me feel oddly peppy and happy.

I'm not feeling grumpy, but I'm kind of tired of all the pop tart noodling, them hosing up the Christmas standards they way the intercourse up the National Anthem before games of every stripe.

Nope. Not gonna do grumpy, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate some vicarious grumping. Here's Miles Davis' Blue Christmas. You'll recognize the vocalist Bob Dorough (Multiplication Rock) from some of the Schoolhouse rock songs. Good stuff! Also known as Blue Xmas, I think?

4 comments:

Dirk said...

Oh, I absolutely hate what "performers" do to "personalize" the National Anthem. That's why I stood, slackjawed with awe and amazement, at the rendition of it at the Chicago Bears / Atlanta Falcons game earlier this year. It's all over You Tube, if you haven't seen it.

Now, that's how you sing that song.

Old NFO said...

Agree with Dirk, and Miles Davis IS good!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm blessed to have so much old (as in pre-1800) Christmas, Hanukkah, and winter music in my collection that I've been able to tune out the versions currently being inflicted on innocent shoppers and workers. That said, last night I put on both of Nox Arcana's winter/Christmas albums. A nice antidote for over-exposure to the overly chirpy. Please, folks, let's remember the mystery of Christmas and Hanukkah! [gets off soap box, makes sheepish shrug, leaves before blog owner gets the big shepherd's crook out]

LittleRed1

Anonymous said...

Tuesday Morning here has fine tunes playing always.