Monday, April 25, 2011

Gardening bliss

I had SUCH a lovely visit this Easter weekend with my folks, my sister and her sweet chilluns. As ever, there was much talk and laughter, and we had a grand time. Mom showed me a blanket Dad bought for me when they brought me home from the hospital, and soon I'll be bringing that home, along with (surprise!) my first pair of shoes in a very stylish, buttery-soft white leather, of course.



The Holy Grail for my garden this year was to find an Oak Leaf Hydrangea. SCORE!!! This is a gorgeous plant, and even if it didn't have its many-headed spike of blossoms, I'd still love it for the grand, huge leaves. This one will have pride of place at the northwest corner of the porch. I found this at Earth Tones Greenery in Midlothian, a very lovely nursery. To my delight, I also found an Australian tree fern, its fiddle-heads all curled up and ready to stretch out any day now. Picture of that one will be posted one day soon.





Then there was this wonderful fuzzy plant called Bunny Ears. FURRY! Very cute.

I did acquire several other plants, but I must show this impossibly lovely old-fashioned varietal geranium. The blossoms are impossibly magenta-- almost a red-black. Thought you might be able to get a sense of them, but the photo does not do them justice-- they fairly glow with a dark wine colour. Beautiful. Incredibly fragrant, too. I often wonder how such grand flora could ever have fallen out of fashion. More garden pics to come.


Have a great week!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

Christina RN LMT said...

Beautiful! Have you ever heard of abelia? I read an interesting and very informative article in the Dallas paper about it the other day. Look it up, it sounds perfect for Texas.

Also, your nails look FABULOUS. Just thought you should know. :)

Laura said...

i've gotta ask, what variety geranium is that? i want one!

Jennifer said...

I am enthralled by your nails here! Awesome. My gardening of late has been of the edible variety. And I've a wasculy wabbit problem that must be dealt with.

Old NFO said...

Nice! The house IS becoming a home... :-)

breda said...

Is that a China Glaze polish?

Holly said...

I've also heard that fuzzy plant referred to as "Lamb's Ear."