Wednesday, May 30, 2007


Standard poodles were bred to retrieve game for hunters, and they are water dogs. Did you know there is a reason for those silly pouf balls? Amazingly, the poodles' bodies are shaved to reduce drag in the water, but the poufs at the joints (hips, neck, legs) were to help keep the joints warm as the dog swam through cold water. Amazing. And all this time we just thought some French person thought they'd look better that way. I think having a poodle would be almost tolerable if they came in nice candy colors.
_________________________
Well, vacation was glorious. If nothing else, I at least achieved an abiding understanding that even if I have days and days free to myself, I still won't be inspired to clean house, so no more feeling guilty on that score. Going back to work on Tuesday was actually nice, and I think the break did me a lot of good.
_________________________
Going to the panhandle this weekend to pick up my ultimate dream table which I bought in a junk shop there. It's a thing of beauty. There are two household items of which you will only find one in a lifetime which is your absolute ultimate: a table and a spice rack. I'm still waiting for my One and Only Perfect Spice Rack™, but until that day, I can console myself with my One and Only Perfect Table™. Now I have de-coded half of the riddle of life's mystery. Soon, I veel rrrroool zee vorlt! Ain't life grand?











8 comments:

HollyB said...

It's your Dream Dining table, Coffee table or End table? Don't just say Table w/o a modifier, please.
And my Mother was a poodle fanatic, I can't stand the tiny ones, although I have heard tales of the Standard ones being used in the Idiarod (sp?). Now that would be cool!

Dick said...

The German's had two full sized, 70lb. poodles they used as guard dogs at the nuke site I used to play in.
Those two were the badasses of the pack.

Flo said...

What candy color do you want? That's too funny.

And thank God! I'm so glad to know I don't have to feel guilty any more,either!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Interesting trivia on the "joint warmers", never knew that...thanks.

Anonymous said...

I've long heard that a standard size (not really, I guess, in that you so rarely actually SEE 'em) can be a really formidable guard dog/enthusiastic hunting dog.

And it seems I read someplace that the little ankle poufs were originally to serve like swim fins or webbed toes, to facilitate swimming for water retrievals.

Neck ruffs? Maybe to protect the lil' darlings from attacks by enraged bullfrogs or the occasional aggressive guppy? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) )

JPG

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I can't think of a thing in the world that would inspire me to clean house. Maybe I should put on a pencil skirt, heels and pearls...

Unknown said...

Will we get to see a picture of this famous table?

FHB said...

I'd actually heard that before. Wonder how many hundreds of years it took to breed critters that looked like that from a basic dog?