Tuesday, January 24, 2006

There was a story in the British news about a 70-something woman who lost her eyesight about 25 years ago and regained her vision after a recent heart attack. She said to her husband "oh, you look so much older, but then I guess I'm older too."

My paternal grandmother is suffering with Alzheimer's, and most days she doesn't realize she's a grandmother, let alone old. She recently had surgery to remove cataracts, and she can see clearly for the first time in many years. Upon returning home after the procedure, she was alone in the bathroom for a long time, when finally my aunt went to check on her. Auntie pushed open the door and saw Grandma staring into the mirror with a look of pained concern on her face.
"Mom, what is it? Are you alright?"
"That Medicine they're giving me has made my skin all wrinkled."


Sad.

No comments: