Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Strange days, indeed.

 Most peculiar, mama.

What a brutally hot summer that was. The 4 month streak of triple digit days broke last week. It's still been all over the 90s in the days, and nothing below the high 70s at night, so it's still uncomfortable, but it's getting better. Come to that, we had rain today, just a bit, and we're forecast for nights in the 60s beginning tonight. We've had hot summers before, but this one was a doozie. I know everyone feels that. It's been oppressive in many ways. 

I know that extreme weather was a thing on this planet pre-dating humans. After all, frozen wooly mammoths have been found with fresh grass in their stomachs, undigested. How fast does a thing that big have to freeze to preserve the contents of its guts before they simply rot or dissolve from the acids in the stomach? I know extreme weather is a cycle thing, but this one felt different. Malevolent, even. 

In any case, I am ready for the cool. Working on the house and garden will be easier. I am eager to get things updated in the house, and I plan only then to begin watching for the right pups to make my house a home again. It's incredible how much needs doing around the house. I know that it is messy and many people would cringe to live in a property unkempt as mine is, but it never felt shabby to me as long as I could hear the sound of little paws. It was our home, and where we loved each other beyond measure. Now, it strikes me as incredibly messy. Now I want to make it welcoming to new little ones. The cooler weather will make this much better. 

No comments: