Friday, February 01, 2013

A post for February 1




The incomparable Nina Simone performed this gripping rendition of Feelings at the Montreaux Jazz Festival. I remember I was a kid at the time Feelings came out and it was so very popular that it became a cliche. One episode of The Gong Show featured only a cavalcade of acts performing versions of this, because you just couldn't get away from it for a while, and it became something to shrug off. I think here, Ms. Simone was baring part of her soul-- I really think she was going through some profound heartache at that moment, and chose this setting for expressing same, underscored by her virtuoso piano playing. And I love the improvisation at the end, and then she modulates this minor key to Major and says "No." And you'll always stay right here in my heart no matter what.

Senza rancor.

6 comments:

M said...

I don't get it. Maybe my grasp of music theory is too lame. I feel like I'm looking at a piece of abstract art and everyone's applauding its beauty, but I'm just seeting squiggles and paint splotches.

phlegmfatale said...

My mother has always said there's no accounting for taste. I'm not offended that you don't get why I like it.

Old NFO said...

Very nice! Thanks

charlotte g said...

It as if that piece came alive. I think, hearing it overall, I disagree. She pities the composer for his/her view. She has pain, but says feelings are important. I could listen to this over and over again, and learn something new each time. Bravo!

charlotte g said...

third time around. She sang the song. She denied the defeat of the lyrics. She ended with her own. Triumphant. I love this...

phlegmfatale said...

Glad you liked it, Old NFO. You're a soulful man and I expected you would understand. :)

charlotte g - I really appreciate your comments, and I totally see your points. :) I do think she was going through something, but as I said, there was an affirmation at the end which rejected despair. :) You said it perfectly: triumphant. Thanks for your observations!