Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New favorite pencil

Himself bought me the best mechanical pencils I've ever used, and they're cheap!
If you are in the way of needing pencils, I highly recommend the Bic Velocity pencil #2.  I like the .9 lead, personally.

I'm generally not a pencil fan, but I have to have them for filling in the bubble sheets for exams at the university, and since I'm renting my text books when possible, I have to be able to go back and erase my notes so I don't get hit with the purchase price on books, so pencils are the go-to margin scrawlers for me.

Oh. Another note on books-- My current psych class has a textbook that was $155 at the university bookstore, but a school bookseller in town had the same book for rent for $27.  All i have to do is turn it back in looking as neat and tidy as it was when I rented it.  I'll just try  not to fall asleep and waller around on it.   I found out about this alternate bookseller from Mrs. Tolewyn, btw, so it pays to have smart friends!

Not all text books are available for bargain rentals, but I got lucky in this case.

4 comments:

Spikessib said...

Friends of mine have also rented some textbooks online. Tim's psych book was $135. and it is the last semester they plan to use it so there was no possibility of recovering any of that. I found it online for $18 dollars rental fee, including return postage.
Some are also available cheaply for eReaders online.

drjim said...

Thanks for the tip on the Bic pencils!
I use (and LOSE!) these things all the time, so a lower-cost alternative that still works well is appreciated.

Roscoe said...

I used a Kindle text in a course with heavy law content last Spring. I'm not sure I would use that format in every situation, but writing essays for the course was a breeze since underlining and notes in the electronic book were sync-ed with the Kindle PC software, ready and waiting for cut-n-paste (with proper citations of course) into my word processor.

Price was equal to a used copy of the book ... plus a second hand Kindle.

Mike said...

As a fellow DFWer, what, pray tell, is the name of this bookstore that is clearly a hoarder of awesomesauce?